History

1826

Carl Moritz Grossmann is born in Dresden on 27 March.

 

1842 – 1854

Grossmann trains in Dresden to become a watchmaker.

Subsequently, he begins travelling as a journeyman with stopovers in London, Hamburg, Paris, Stockholm, Copenhagen, and Western Switzerland.

 

1854

Grossmann returns to Saxony and establishes his atelier in Glashütte.

1866

His treatise “On the detached lever escapement” is awarded the 1st prize by the British Horological Institute in London.

 

1876

Grossmann is elected representative of the Royal Saxon Landtag.

 

1878

He is appointed head of the committee for the construction of the Müglitz Valley railway line. However, it is not taken into service until 1891.

1878

The German School of Watchmaking in Glashütte is established thanks to Grossmann’s initiative and according to his concept.

 

1885

Carl Moritz Grossmann dies unexpectedly on 23 January in Leipzig.

 

1886

The Society of German Watchmakers in London donates a marble plaque (which no longer exists) in his honour.

1903

M. Loeske becomes the new editor of the pocket dictionary for watchmakers originally published by Grossmann.

 

1921

The German School of Watchmaking is upgraded to the status of a University of Applied Horological and Micromechanical Sciences.

 

1928

The Moritz Grossmann commemorative tablet at the entrance of the watchmaking school is festively unveiled.

1935

On completion of the new fire station, the square in the front of the building is renamed “Moritz-Grossmann-Platz”.

 

1940

The watchmaking school is elevated to the status Graduate School of Horological Craftsmanship.

1957

The Graduate School of Horological Craftsmanship becomes the “Ingenieurschule für Feinwerkmechanik Glashütte”.

 

1992

The engineering school closes after 114 years.

2008

The German Clock Museum opens in the building of the former German School of Watchmaking.

 

2008

Grossmann Uhren GmbH is incorporated.

2010

The first Grossmann watch model of the new era is presented: the BENU.

 

2012

The company relocates to the new manufacture building.

 

2013

The manufacture building on Uferstrasse 1 in Glashütte is festively inaugurated.

2013

Two new model families are launched: the BENU Power Reserve and the ATUM.

The BENU Tourbillon crowns the collection.

 

2015

The new TEFNUT and TEFNUT Lady model families are introduced.

 

2016

The ATUM Power Reserve and the TEFNUT 36 have their public première.

New steel-cased watches – the ATUM Pure and the TEFNUT Pure with the Pure Classic Finish – broaden the Grossmann collection.